Why Is Wheeler Not Playing For Kentucky?
- Michael Paul
Due to the neck ailment that Sahvir Wheeler is now dealing with, it is highly unlikely that he will be able to play in tonight’s game. (Image courtesy of UK Athletics) Tonight it is possible that Kentucky will be without their starting point guard. Sahvir Wheeler, who sustained a neck strain on a screen during the Wildcats’ defeat to LSU by a score of 65-60 on Tuesday night, is probably not going to play against his old teammates when Kentucky takes on Georgia.
- The neck is still hurting him, so it will be day-to-day,” said Kentucky coach John Calipari, who didn’t anticipate Wheeler to participate in Friday’s practice due to the fact that Wheeler wouldn’t be able to practice.
- I know he wants to play against Georgia.
- And he’s not doing it out of spite.
- He just wants to play games.
But, you know, it’ll be day-to-day.” If Wheeler is unable to participate in the game, TyTy Washington will most likely take over at the point guard position, and Davion Mintz will split time with Washington and Washington. Calipari added, “Everyone knows that the man who stirs the drink for us is Sahvir,” and the statement was widely circulated.
- I told him, ‘You’ve got to sub yourself before TV timeouts.
- You can’t try to play every minute.’ Yesterday he was really good, and we’ll see what happens for us.
- If he’s that guy if Sahvir cannot play, the ball will be in his hands more.
- Establishing late-game clarity with his team has been the primary emphasis of Calipari’s instruction at practice this week.
“(We’ve tried to) make it a little clearer for these men so there is no confusion — ‘This is how we’re doing this. Last four minutes, this is what we’re doing in these sorts of games,'” he added. “(We’ve tried to) make it a little clearer for these guys so there is no confusion.” “Because, to be honest, three games, we’ve got a chance to win with four minutes to go, and the three games we lost we kind of did the same thing,” Calipari stated.
- So, that comes back to me.” Although Georgia (5-9, 0-1) has struggled, Calipari does not believe it will be an easy contest for his squad and stated that Tom Crean’s team is capable of pulling off an upset.
- In Athens, the previous season, the Bulldogs prevailed against the Wildcats by a score of 63 to 62.
Calipari remarked that his team was “far ahead of Texas A&M.” “They had the lead with six seconds to go and a kid makes a pull-up 3, not a screen, not a screen down and screen away play, the kid just came down and jacked a 3 and it was guarded, and he makes the 3 at the buzzer and that’s how they lose.
What happened to Wheeler in the Kentucky Basketball game?
LEXINGTON – In order for the Kentucky basketball team to get back on track after suffering a loss on Tuesday against Tennessee, they will need to do so despite the absence of two starting players when they play Alabama. Before Kentucky’s game at one o’clock in the afternoon, neither the junior point guard Sahvir Wheeler nor the freshman guard TyTy Washington participated in the team’s warmups with the other players.
- Because Washington was trying to play with a lower leg injury that he sustained a week earlier against Florida, he was only allowed 13 minutes of playing time while at Tennessee.
- After showing signs of discomfort in his wrist in the second half of the game, Wheeler finished it out on the bench for the last two minutes.
After the game, John Calipari claimed that he initially did not want to play PJ Washington against Tennessee, but that the rookie guard had convinced the Kentucky head coach that Washington should play. During his press conference on Friday, Calipari dropped hints that many players would have to sit out in order for the team to return to full health.
- How Davion Mintz is once again demonstrating his significance to the University of Kentucky basketball team Calipari was quoted as saying, “The first priority has to be about the guys.” “They need to sit if they feel the urge to do so.
- After that, I’ll be able to figure things out.
- They are not getting a chance to relax.
The problem is that they are unable to perform at their full potential. Why would you ever consider doing that? to take victory in one more contest? How would you like to improve your seeding? It’s not about you, it’s about them.”.These guys want to play so badly, so there are times as a coach you’ve got to make that decision that’s in their best interest for them,” the head coach said.
Due to the absences of Wheeler and Washington, Kentucky’s super senior guard Davion Mintz will assume major point guard responsibilities for the team. Kellan Grady, a super senior guard who spent most of his time at Davidson playing point guard, is likely going to serve as the No.2 option to handle the offense for the Wildcats.
Calipari is likely to deploy a larger lineup for the majority of the game with either Jacob Toppin or Keion Brooks playing on the wing. Guards Bryce Hopkins and Dontaie Allen, who do not see a lot of playing time, will be needed to produce effective minutes off the bench.
- Alongside Mintz, Grady, and Oscar Tshiebwe, Toppin and Brooks will get the game started for their team.
- Can Kentucky basketball still get a No.1 seed in the NCAA Tournament despite Tennessee’s loss? that’s the question posed by bracketology.
- Calipari devoted a greater portion of this week’s practice time to scrimmage scenarios in the expectation that Hopkins and Allen will play a more significant role.
Calipari referred to such players as being in “the toughest situation to be in.” “You don’t know if you’re going to play enough or at all, but you have to be ready in case either scenario occurs. A challenging situation. If you know you’re going to be playing, you should prepare yourselves.
Why is Wheeler out for UK?
Expand Everything The Kentucky Wildcats will be playing their second straight game without starting guards TyTy Washington and Sahvir Wheeler on Wednesday night. Because of their ongoing ailments, Washington and Wheeler won’t be able to play for the Kentucky Wildcats when they host Louisiana State on Saturday.
On February 12, during Kentucky’s victory against Florida, Washington was involved in a collision that resulted in an injury to the lower left leg. He was unable to play for the remainder of that game but attempted to make his return three days later when UK played Tennessee. In Knoxville, Washington’s ailment became significantly worse, and he was forced to leave the game just after halftime as a result.
The REAL REASON Shaedon Sharpe isn’t Playing – Kentucky Basketball Discussion
At the end of the game between Kentucky and Tennessee, Wheeler looked like he was favoring his wrist. The game between Kentucky and LSU in early January ended with a score of 65-60, and both Washington and Wheeler were injured and unable to play, which contributed to the Wildcats’ loss.
Both players missed portions of the losses that the Wildcats suffered at Auburn and Tennessee due to injuries, despite the fact that the Cats have been perhaps as outstanding as any other team in the country when they are at full strength. Additionally, Kentucky has been successful when it has been able to design its games with the understanding that important players will be sidelined due to injury.
On Saturday, Washington and Wheeler did not play for Kentucky against Alabama, and the Wildcats were able to pull out a 90-81 victory over the Crimson Tide. Kentucky was helped in this victory by a makeshift starting lineup that included Davion Mintz, Kellan Grady, Keion Brooks, Jacob Toppin, and Oscar Tshiebwe, and this group played nearly the entire second half together.
- John Calipari, the head coach of the Kentucky Wildcats, has emphasized how important it is for his team to be in tip-top shape for the postseason.
- Over the course of the past week and a half, he has stated on multiple occasions that he would rather sit players now and let them heal than take lingering injuries into March.
The University of Kentucky still has three regular-season games left, one of which is a pivotal showdown on the road against No.18 Arkansas this coming Saturday. The Cats are scheduled to play Mississippi at home on Tuesday night, and then they will finish the regular season on the road against Florida the following weekend.
- The latest projections for the NCAA Tournament see Kentucky earning the No.2 seed overall.
- The Wildcats entered Wednesday one game behind Auburn in the Southeastern Conference rankings, claiming the No.2 place with just a half-game advantage over SEC opponents Arkansas and Tennessee.
- The Cats were the only team in the conference to have a winning record.
The first version of this item was posted online at 8:39 p.m. on February 23, 2022. Ben Roberts covers all things related to the men’s basketball team at the University of Kentucky for the Lexington Herald-Leader. He once specialized in providing coverage of basketball recruitment at the University of Kentucky, where he also founded and managed the Next Cats blog.
What injury does Sahvir Wheeler have?
The Kentucky Wildcats’ trip to the Bahamas has gotten off to an encouraging start so far, but there was a worry with an injury earlier today. Senior point guard Sahvir Wheeler suffered a lower-body injury toward the end of the first half of Wednesday’s game against the Dominican Republic National Select Team.
He limped to the bench to be examined by trainers, then limped to the locker room for further testing, and he remained there for the remainder of the half. This follows his absence from four games during the previous season due to various ailments. As a result of Wheeler’s absence, Kentucky’s two freshman guards, Adou Thiero and Cason Wallace, have already seen significant playing time.
Thiero, in particular, was a nice surprise, and one could reasonably expect him to receive further playing time in the event that Wheeler is unable to participate. However, Thiero is currently in the midst of an atypical development spurt, which has actually resulted to genuine growing pains.
- As a result, it is anticipated that his playing time will be restricted in the Bahamas.
- According to Kyle Tucker of The Athletic, the uplifting report is that it appears as though Wheeler will be alright.
- Wheeler has made his way back to the bench and has been given the go-ahead to continue playing.
- Although he did not begin the second half of the game, he did finally come back into the game with 16 minutes remaining to go.
It would appear that Kentucky and Wheeler have managed to avoid a potential disaster for the time being. Be sure to go “like” us on our Facebook page and then go follow us on Twitter so that you don’t miss out on any of the great Kentucky Wildcats links, news, commentary, and other entertaining content that is included in this edition of A Sea of Blue.
Why didn t Sahvir Wheeler play?
Expand Everywhere – Both TyTy Washington and Sahvir Wheeler came off the bench for the Kentucky Wildcats during the first half of their basketball game against No.18 Arkansas on Saturday afternoon. Washington and Wheeler did not start for Kentucky since neither player was in the starting lineup for the contest.
UK During the pregame radio broadcast for the Wildcats, head coach John Calipari mentioned that both Washington and Wheeler had participated in the team’s practice sessions, but he did not intend to use either player in his starting lineup against the Razorbacks. “Let’s see how the game goes,” he remarked.
“Let’s see how the game goes.” “We have no choice but to begin incorporating them into the plan. However, it appears that they are in a reasonable state of health. I warned them that if I noticed anyone hobbling or acting strangely in any way, I would keep them out of the game.
- However, it appears that they will have a game today.” The two guards were substituted into the game with 16 minutes and 52 seconds remaining in the first half, and the Wildcats falling down 7-2.
- In the end, Kentucky was defeated by the score of 75-73, although the outcome of the game remained in doubt up to the very last second.
In 29 minutes of play, Wheeler finished with 14 points, five assists, and three turnovers. After 35 minutes of play, Washington finished with 10 points, three assists, and two steals. Although he beat the buzzer with a three-pointer that determined the winner, he shot just three of twelve from the field as a whole.
Both Washington and Wheeler had to leave the game that the University of Kentucky was playing against Tennessee on February 15 due to injury, and neither had played prior to checking into the game against Arkansas. Each players were benched for Kentucky’s home games against Alabama and Louisiana State over the previous week.
Despite fielding a makeshift starting backcourt consisting of Davion Mintz and Kellan Grady, Kentucky was still able to come out on top in both of those contests and earn victories. Calipari largely maintained his starting lineup from the first half of the Alabama game, which also included Jacob Toppin, Keion Brooks, and Oscar Tshiebwe.
- On the other hand, Calipari brought freshman wing Bryce Hopkins off the bench to help UK beat LSU on Wednesday night.
- Hopkins was a key contributor to UK’s victory.
- Against Arkansas, the following players were identified as the starting lineup: Mintz, Grady, Brooks, Toppin, and Tshiebwe.
- Wheeler sustained an injury to his wrist during the conclusion of the game against Tennessee, while Washington’s lower left leg ailment became worse as a result of playing in that game.
The initial injury occurred a few days earlier in a victory over Florida, and as a result, he was unable to play in the latter part of that game. Washington also sustained a left ankle injury earlier this year when Kentucky played Auburn and missed practically the whole game.
Three days later, Kentucky played Mississippi State and won, but Washington missed both of those games due to his ailment. Washington is the leading scorer in the backcourt for Kentucky this season and is anticipated to be selected in the lottery by the NBA this year. He is averaging 12.4 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 4.1 assists per game this season.
Wheeler is averaging 9.6 points per game in his first year with the Wildcats after transferring from Georgia in the summer. He is also leading the Southeastern Conference in assists for the second season in a row, averaging 7.1 per game, and he is doing so for the second straight season.
On Tuesday night, Kentucky will play the last game of the regular season at home against Mississippi. The Cats will then finish the regular season on the road against Florida the following Saturday. In the most recent couple of weeks, Calipari has made it quite clear that the most important thing for him is to ensure that his team is in good condition for the postseason.
According to the most recent bracketology from ESPN, the University of Kentucky entered the weekend as the No.2 seed for the NCAA Tournament. Going into their game on Saturday against Arkansas, the bracket aggregation website BracketMatrix.com has the University of Kentucky ranked as the top No.2 seed and sixth overall.
The first version of this story was posted online at 1:51 PM on February 26, 2022. Ben Roberts covers all things related to the men’s basketball team at the University of Kentucky for the Lexington Herald-Leader. He once specialized in providing coverage of basketball recruitment at the University of Kentucky, where he also founded and managed the Next Cats blog.
He was born and raised in Franklin County and began working for the Herald-Leader in the year 2006. Please consider purchasing a digital membership to support my work.
Will Wheeler play against Georgia?
Due to the neck ailment that Sahvir Wheeler is now dealing with, it is highly unlikely that he will be able to play in tonight’s game. (Photo of the UK Athletics Team) Tonight, it’s possible that Kentucky will be without their starting point guard. Sahvir Wheeler, who sustained a neck strain on a screen during the Wildcats’ defeat to LSU by a score of 65-60 on Tuesday night, is probably not going to play against his old teammates when Kentucky takes on Georgia.
“The neck is still hurting him, so it will be day-to-day,” said Kentucky coach John Calipari, who didn’t anticipate Wheeler to participate in Friday’s practice due to the fact that Wheeler wouldn’t be able to practice. “I am aware of his desire to compete against Georgia. And he is not acting in a vindictive manner.
He is just interested in playing games. But, you know, it’ll be day-to-day.” If Wheeler is unable to participate in the game, it is likely that TyTy Washington will take over at point guard, and Davion Mintz will split time with Washington and Washington.
- Calipari added, “Everyone knows that the man who stirs the drink for us is Sahvir,” and the statement was widely circulated.
- However, you have two individuals running our club who are capable of playing that position, and they are both in charge of it.
- I advised him, “You have to substitute for yourself before the TV timeouts.” You can’t give every minute of practice your whole attention.
The day before, he was performing quite well; today, we will see what unfolds for us. If he fills in for Sahvir in the event that he is unable to play, he will have more opportunities to control the ball.” Washington replaced Wheeler as the starter for the Wildcats (11-3, 1-1) for their game against LSU on Tuesday.
- The Wildcats were on the verge of pulling off an upset, but a late collapse allowed the Tigers to capture a six-point victory in Baton Rouge.
- Establishing late-game clarity with his team has been the primary emphasis of Calipari’s instruction at practice this week.
- We’ve tried to) make things a bit clearer for these folks so that there is no doubt about how we’re doing this — “This is how we’re doing this.” The final four minutes, this is how we approach games of this nature,’ “he remarked.
“Because, if we’re being completely honest, in three of the games we’ve been in a position to win with four minutes left to play, but in the three games that we’ve lost, we’ve basically done the same thing. Consequently, this pertains to me once again.” Calipari believes that it will not be an easy match for his side, despite the fact that Georgia (5-9, 0-1) has been struggling, and he believes that Tom Crean’s club is capable of pulling off an upset.
- In Athens, the previous season, the Bulldogs prevailed against the Wildcats by a score of 63 to 62.
- Calipari stated that his team was favored to win over Texas A&M.
- They were ahead with six seconds left in the game, but a young player made a pull-up three-point shot at the buzzer.
- There was no screen, no screen down and screen away play; the young player simply came down and jacked a three-point shot while it was being guarded.
This caused them to lose the game. And Texas A&M’s record stands at 12-2. It will be a terrific test for you.” Gametracker: Georgia versus Kentucky, 6 p.m., Saturday. TV and radio networks include the SEC Network and the UK Radio Network. * * * The Kentucky Today’s sports section is edited by Keith Taylor.
Is TyTy Washington playing against Alabama?
Guards TyTy Washington and Sahvir Wheeler will not participate in Kentucky’s game against Alabama.
Is TyTy Washington injury?
TyTy Washington, a talented rookie for Kentucky, suffered a leg injury during the game on Saturday, when the Wildcats defeated Florida 78-57. Washington departed the game in the second half. While he was falling on the floor for a lost ball, Florida wing Brandon McKissic collided with Washington, which caused Washington’s legs to be cut out from underneath him.
- Following the play, the 6-foot-3-inch guard was seen hobbling into the locker room at Rupp Arena, and he did not return.
- The event put a shadow over an otherwise successful afternoon for the Wildcats, who won their sixth consecutive game, moved their record to 21-4 (10-2 in the SEC), and kept pace with Auburn in the quest for the SEC title by remaining within one game of the Tigers.
At the end of the game, Washington finished with 10 points, shooting 4 of 13 from the field while also contributing 6 assists and 5 rebounds. Davion Mintz stepped up and scored three 3-pointers after his teammate, PJ Washington, left the game. This allowed the University of Kentucky to finish the game on a 13-2 run, even though Washington was not on the court.
- Washington would most certainly be sidelined for a period of time, according to Kentucky coach John Calipari, who stated after the game that an X-ray on Washington’s left lower leg did not show a catastrophic injury.
- Calipari explained, “Well, there was an X-ray, so – you know, yes, so if there were – it looked like there’s anything there, I’d be like, ‘wow.'” “Who knows, but it’s possible that he’ll be out of commission for another week or two.
It may be a muscle, or it could be something that came loose as a result of the force with which he was struck.” Due to an ankle injury he sustained in UK’s defeat at Auburn on January 22, Washington was unable to play in UK’s victory against Mississippi State on January 25.
After Washington went down with an injury, Mintz took Washington’s spot in the starting lineup, and graduate transfer Kellan Grady played all but the last two minutes of that game. If Washington winds up missing one or more games for a second time, one option for UK would be to give Mintz a greater position on the team.
It is quite likely that the starting point guard Sahvir Wheeler, who already plays an average of 30.4 minutes per game, will be counted on to facilitate the offense on the vast majority of possessions. Washington is a strong backup ball handler who has worked effectively in tandem with Wheeler.
Is Johnny Davis injured?
Johnny Davis of the Wisconsin men’s basketball team gets taken out of the game against Nebraska with an injury after committing a flagrant foul. Davis will not return to the game because he has a ‘lower body’ injury.
How tall is UK’s wheeler?
|No.2 – Kentucky Wildcats|
|Listed height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Listed weight||180 lb (82 kg)|
|High school||Houston Christian (Houston, Texas)|
Is Sahvir Wheeler coming back?
Sahvir Wheeler, the point guard for the Kentucky Wildcats basketball team, will return for the 2022-2023 season. The two-time defending and current SEC assists leader will be a member of the Kentucky basketball team that plays in 2022-2023. The lineup is complete once again thanks to Sahvir Wheeler’s comeback.
Where is TyTy Washington?
Rockets de Houston (Texas) (2022–present) After being taken by the Memphis Grizzlies with the 29th overall choice in the draft, Washington was dealt to the Houston Rockets on the night of the draft.
When did TyTy Washington get drafted?
Coverage of the 2022 NBA Draft – In the first round of the 2022 NBA Draft, two basketball players from the University of Kentucky were selected. Their names are Shaedon Sharpe and TyTy Washington. You may read the coverage from Thursday night that was published in the Lexington Herald-Leader by clicking the link below.