How Much Does The Winner Of The Kentucky Derby?
- Michael Paul
What was the total amount of money that Rich Strike won at the Kentucky Derby in 2022? As the winner of the Kentucky Derby, Rich Strike was awarded $1,860,000.00 of the total prize pool of $3,000,000.00. Rich Strike had only earned a total of $111,289 in his career prior to winning the first leg of the Triple Crown.
- Not bad for a horse who just qualified for the Derby the day before when Ethereal Road was forced to withdraw, and who was claimed by owner Rick Dawson of RED TR-Racing following a $30,000 maiden-claiming event at Churchill Downs.
- Rich Strike: At the 2022 Kentucky Derby, owner Rick Dawson was successful with his wagers on Eric Reed and Rich Strike.
“On what planet are we now?” Dawson spoke on his performance after the race on Saturday. “I feel like I have been catapulted someplace. I’m not sure. This defies all logic and reason. I went up on stage and spoke to my coach, and I asked him, “Are you sure this isn’t a dream?” Because there is no way that could be true.’ He gave me his word that everything is genuine.
What does the jockey get for winning the Kentucky Derby?
LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY – MAY 01: During the 147th running of the Kentucky Derby, which took place at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky on May 1, 2021, Medina Spirit #8, which was ridden by jockey John Velazquez, led the field through the first turn.
- Photograph by Sarah Stier, courtesy of Getty Images) The winner of the Kentucky Derby receives more than just a glistening gold trophy and a bouquet of roses for their efforts.
- It’s also a good little paycheck for the jockey of the winning horse, although it might not be precisely what some supporters have in mind when they think about how much they’ll get.
The winner of the Kentucky Derby this year will take home $1.86 million of the total prize pool of $3 million. This year’s event was conducted at Churchill Downs. resulting in the rider receiving somewhere about ten percent of the total prizes. Not bad for a day’s work: you get $186,000 in return.
- Those revenues, however, are reduced to around $50,000 in take-home income after agency fees, valet, and taxes are deducted.
- Which, in the grand scheme of things, isn’t a bad amount of money, but it’s not nearly as much as one might assume it is considering how rich other sports personalities are.
- The race known as “The Fastest Two Minutes in Sports” also has the jockey purses being distributed the quickest.
Especially when one considers that even finishing in the top five might result in a rider receiving less than $10,000 in prize money. And this is before the Kentucky Derby increased the amount of money winners get from the 2019 value of $2 million to $3 million.
What were the payoffs for the Kentucky Derby?
At Churchill Downs on Saturday, the Kentucky Derby will get underway at 6:57 p.m. Eastern Time (ET), with 20 horses competing for the first leg of the 2022 Triple Crown. A breakdown of the prize money for the Kentucky Derby in 2022